Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Do “mixed marriages” work?

Let’s say you’re what is affectionately known as a “veggie” (or maybe just taking a bit of a dabble in it, to try), but your significant other or mate isn’t and has no interest in even giving it a go. How do you handle it then? Is your relationship doomed unless one of you “converts”?

In my experience, no. Know what? Not a single one of my three serious post-vegetarian relationships has had both of us meandering along the veggie trail. It’s a road I’ve traveled solo in every case. I will say that it worked for me because except for wanting an SO to cut down on meat consumption for health reasons (not eliminate), I didn’t care that my partner wasn’t vegetarian, and I wasn’t set on any children I might have eventually had becoming vegetarian, either. The only adjustment we made was that each of us did our own cooking; handling raw meat is a very squeamish experience for me and I just couldn’t even if I’d wanted to, but since I also hate to cook in general, this worked out fine and I was glad I didn’t have to.

If you’re someone who’s interested in getting a partner to convert either way (veggie, or not veggie?), then I would imagine that it’s kind of like conversion to a particular religion – fine if one partner doesn’t mind converting, or perhaps a relationship breaker if there’s just no way that’s going to happen and it’s central to the relationship continuing. If you’re interested, I’d like to hear your thoughts and experiences on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment