Monday, January 19, 2009

A new day is about to dawn

At least, I hope that's what's going to happen with Barack Obama's inauguration tomorrow.

I always prided myself on the fact that I could get by on very little when compared to other folks who ate meat. And in fact, that's probably still true; I probably still spend a fraction of what most people who eat meat spend on groceries (and some vegans, too, if they rely a lot on expensive "fake" meats and other foods to fill their nutritional needs).

But admittedly, it's quite a bit more than it was, and even though I'm still doing okay, I know what it means when people say they're hungry; best wishes out there to all the folks who have lost their jobs because of this declining economy, and here's hoping that this new administration will begin to correct that situation as fast as possible.

Green jobs?

One of the things I find exciting about this administration is that it has been talking about developing lots of new jobs (here, in the United States) that focus on "green" energy development. The United States is woefully behind the times when it comes to reducing its dependence on fossil fuels (another "vegan" passion of mine), and this bodes well for our future and for that of the planet, too.

So, as we await the inauguration of Barack Obama tomorrow, I'm excited for us and for the possibilities the future seems to suddenly hold. Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment